Oggy and the Cockroaches (known as Oggy et les Cafards in French, often referred to as Oggy) is a French animated comedy series that was produced by Xilam and Gaumont Film Company.
The show centers on Oggy, an anthropomorphic blue cat, who would prefer to spend his days contentedly watching television and eating along with his cousin, Jack, if not for the trio of cockroaches in the household, Joey, Dee Dee and Marky (named after members of the punk group Ramones).
They seem to enjoy making Oggy's life miserable, which involves mischief ranging from (in most cases) plundering his refrigerator to such awkward things like hijacking the train Oggy just boarded. Oggy usually finds creatures accompanying him to the end of the episode, such as crabs, clams, a horse, a very technologically advanced child, a puppy, and an octopus. However, it's not always Oggy who wins.
The cartoon relies on slapstick humor, much like its "ancestor", Tom and Jerry, only amplifying the level of extremities up a notch. While traditional slapstick cartoon characters prefer dropping anvils and pianos on each other, this show sometimes uses buses or submarines. Despite these, however, most gags are easily accessible and enjoyable for younger viewers and older audiences (all ages). Since dialogue is kept to a minimum, the humor is entirely visual.
- Main article: Oggy and the Cockroaches episode list
- Season 6 and 7 will have a mix of new stories and full remakes of classic ones from seasons 1 and 2.
- Oggy and the Cockroaches marks as the longest running Xilam cartoon ever, beating Space Goofs in 2009, and the only cartoon to have the most seasons (6).
- Oggy and the Cockroaches, along with The Magician, Shuriken School and Space Goofs, are the only Xilam cartoons to air in the USA.
- On March 14, 2015, TMZ reported that a young viewer pointed out a brief image of a topless woman in Oggy's trailer shown in the episode "(Un)Happy Camper!" (when Oggy enters said trailer after Joey switches the oil and water signs), which was broadcast on Nickelodeon in the United States on the same day with some parents complaining about the incident to the network.
- The image was replaced by a landscape picture, when it was aired on YouTube.